The Names of God
What was God's Name in Ancient Israel?
As Isaiah said:
Isaiah 55:8-9 "My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways...for as high as the heavens are above the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."
Prov 18:10 "The name of the LORD is a strong tower; The righteous run to it and are safe."
What name could fully describe God? Anything that we can think of poses some form of limitation, he is this and not that, or he is here and not there. But the God of the Bible is revealed as someone that the heavens cannot contain. He is beyond limitation, and no man can fully describe him. The Bible indicates that the prophets only knew in part. But it is a full word of God, his full revelation from beginning to end that can give us a faith and an understanding of God and his purposes. Apart from his word we are in darkness and there is no knowledge of God, of who God is.
Below are some MP3 audio files regarding 16 of the names of God revealed to ancient Israel, taken from an interview with my friend Shahar from Jerusalem.
Introduction, Jehovah, Elohim, Adonai, El Elyon, El Shaddai, El Olam, El Roi, Jehovah Jireh, Jehovah Nissi, Jehovah Rapha, Jehovah Sabaoth, Jehovah Shalom, Jehovah Tsidkenu, Jehovah Rohi, Jehovah Shammah, Jehovah MiKadishkim
13 - And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
14 - And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
15 - And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.
1 - In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
1 - After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.
2 - And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?
3 - And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir.
18 - And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he [was] the priest of the most high God.
19 - And he blessed him, and said, Blessed [be] Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
20 - And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
1 - And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.
2 - And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.
3 - And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,
4 - As for me, behold, my covenant [is] with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.
33 - And Abraham planted a grove in Beersheba, and called there on the name of the LORD, the everlasting God.
13 - And she called the name of the LORD that spake unto her, Thou God seest me: for she said, Have I also here looked after him that seeth me?
14 - Wherefore the well was called Beerlahairoi; behold, [it is] between Kadesh and Bered.
15 - And Hagar bare Abram a son: and Abram called his son's name, which Hagar bare, Ishmael.
13 - And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind [him] a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.
14 - And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said [to] this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.
15 - And Moses built an altar, and called the name of it Jehovahnissi:
16 - For he said, Because the LORD hath sworn [that] the LORD [will have] war with Amalek from generation to generation.
26 - And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.
1 Samuel 17
45 - Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.
23 - And the LORD said unto him, Peace be unto thee; fear not: thou shalt not die.
24 - Then Gideon built an altar there unto the LORD, and called it Jehovahshalom: unto this day it is yet in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.
6 - In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this [is] his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.
1 - The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 - He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 - He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 - Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
35 - It was round about eighteen thousand measures: and the name of the city from that day shall be, The LORD is there.
8 - And ye shall keep my statutes, and do them: I am the LORD which sanctify you.
Read The Bible
- 1599 Geneva Bible (GNV)
- 21st Century King James Version (KJ21)
- American Standard Version (ASV)
- Amplified Bible (AMP)
- Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)
- Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
- BRG Bible (BRG)
- Christian Standard Bible (CSB)
- Common English Bible (CEB)
- Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
- Contemporary English Version (CEV)
- Darby Translation (DARBY)
- Disciples’ Literal New Testament (DLNT)
- Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
- Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
- English Standard Version (ESV)
- English Standard Version Anglicised (ESVUK)
- Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV)
- Expanded Bible (EXB)
- GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)
- Good News Translation (GNT)
- Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
- International Children’s Bible (ICB)
- International Standard Version (ISV)
- J.B. Phillips New Testament (PHILLIPS)
- Jubilee Bible 2000 (JUB)
- King James Version (KJV)
- Lexham English Bible (LEB)
- Living Bible (TLB)
- Modern English Version (MEV)
- Mounce Reverse Interlinear New Testament (MOUNCE)
- Names of God Bible (NOG)
- New American Bible (Revised Edition) (NABRE)
- New American Standard Bible (NASB)
- New American Standard Bible 1995 (NASB1995)
- New Catholic Bible (NCB)
- New Century Version (NCV)
- New English Translation (NET)
- New International Reader's Version (NIRV)
- New International Version - UK (NIVUK)
- New International Version (NIV)
- New King James Version (NKJV)
- New Life Version (NLV)
- New Living Translation (NLT)
- New Matthew Bible (NMB)
- New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
- New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (NRSVCE)
- New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised (NRSVA)
- New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised Catholic Edition (NRSVACE)
- New Testament for Everyone (NTE)
- Orthodox Jewish Bible (OJB)
- Revised Geneva Translation (RGT)
- Revised Standard Version (RSV)
- Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
- The Message (MSG)
- The Voice (VOICE)
- Tree of Life Version (TLV)
- World English Bible (WEB)
- Worldwide English (New Testament) (WE)
- Wycliffe Bible (WYC)
- Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
Table of Contents
- Ancient Assyrian Social Structure
- Ancient Babylonia
- Ancient Canaan During the Time of Joshua
- Ancient History Timeline
- Ancient Oil Lamps
- Antonia Fortress
- Archaeology of Ancient Assyria
- Assyria and Bible Prophecy
- Augustus Caesar
- Background Bible Study
- Biblical Geography
- Fallen Empires - Archaeological Discoveries and the Bible
- First Century Jerusalem
- Glossary of Latin Words
- Herod Agrippa I
- Herod Antipas
- Herod the Great
- Herod's Temple
- High Priest's in New Testament Times
- Jewish Literature in New Testament Times
- Library collection
- Map of David's Kingdom
- Map of the Divided Kingdom - Israel and Judah
- Map of the Ministry of Jesus
- Matthew Henry Bible Commentary
- Messianic Prophecy
- Nero Caesar Emperor
- Online Bible Maps
- Paul's First Missionary Journey
- Paul's Second Missionary Journey
- Paul's Third Missionary Journey
- Pontius Pilate
- Questions About the Ancient World
- Tabernacle of Ancient Israel
- Tax Collectors in New Testament Times
- The Babylonian Captivity
- The Black Obelisk of Shalmaneser
- The Books of the New Testament
- The Court of the Gentiles
- The Court of the Women in the Temple
- The Destruction of Israel
- The Fall of Judah with Map
- The History Of Rome
- The Incredible Bible
- The Jewish Calendar in Ancient Hebrew History
- The Life of Jesus in Chronological Order
- The Life of Jesus in Harmony
- The Names of God
- The New Testament
- The Old Testament
- The Passion of the Christ
- The Pharisees
- The Sacred Year of Israel in New Testament Times
- The Samaritans
- The Scribes
- How did the ancient Greeks and Romans practice medicine and treat illnesses?
- What were the major contributions of ancient Babylon to mathematics and astronomy?
- How did the ancient Persians create and administer their vast empire?
- What were the cultural and artistic achievements of ancient India, particularly during the Gupta Empire?
- How did ancient civilizations like the Incas and Aztecs build their remarkable cities and structures?
- What were the major trade routes and trading practices of the ancient world?
- What was the role of slavery in ancient societies like Rome and Greece?
- How did the ancient Mayans develop their sophisticated calendar system?
- What were the key events and significance of the Battle of Thermopylae in ancient Greece?
- What was life like for women in ancient Rome?
Bible Study Questions
- What does biblical archaeologist said about hieroglyphics?
- Where is the Negev where Abram went to in Genesis?
- What is the name of Ramallah in the Bible?
- How do we approach and study the historical and cultural context of biblical passages?
- What is the significance of the Psalms in personal and corporate worship?
- How do we discern and apply biblical principles to contemporary ethical issues?
- What is the biblical perspective on the nature of God's love and mercy?
- How do we interpret and understand apocalyptic literature in the Bible?
- What are the different covenants in the Bible and their significance?
- How do we grow in spiritual maturity and develop a deeper understanding of the Word?
Welcome to Free Bible: Unearthing the Past, Illuminating the Present! Step into a world where ancient history and biblical narratives intertwine, inviting you to explore the rich tapestry of human civilization.
Discover the captivating stories of forgotten empires, delve into the customs and cultures of our ancestors, and witness the remarkable findings unearthed by dedicated archaeologists.
Immerse yourself in a treasure trove of knowledge, where the past comes alive and illuminates our understanding of the present.
Join us on this extraordinary journey through time, where curiosity is rewarded and ancient mysteries await your exploration.
The Ten Lost Tribes of Israel: A Mystery That Has Endured for CenturiesThe Ten Lost Tribes of Israel are the ten of the Twelve Tribes of Israel that were said to have been exiled from the Kingdom of Israel after its conqu...
Exploring the Mysteries of the Arzareth Map: Unearthing Ancient LegendsIn the annals of history and mythology, there are places shrouded in mystery, lost to the sands of time. One such enigmatic location is "Arzareth," a ...
The Incredible Bible: A Timeless Source of Inspiration and GuidanceIn a world characterized by rapid change, the Bible stands as an incredible and enduring source of inspiration and guidance. Here are some compelling ...
The Bible: More Than Just a Religious TextOften considered solely as a religious text, the Bible transcends its religious significance, revealing itself as a multifaceted treasure trove of wis...
The Bible's Profound Wisdom for Everyday LifeThe Bible, often regarded as a sacred and spiritual guide, isn't merely a collection of ancient texts; it's a timeless reservoir of wisdom that speaks...