Ancient History Timeline
Ps 33:8-9 "Let all the earth fear the LORD; Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him, For He spoke, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast"
Bible Chronology. Regarding the chronology of the Old Testament it is important to know that most of the dates cannot be determined with any sort of accuracy. For all of the dates concerning the life of Abraham and the patriarchs there is no accurate chronology from the standpoint of archaeology. This timeline of the ancient world follows the Biblical dating of Ussher's chronology which dates the creation of the world in 4004 BC. If this were true then the flood would've happened in 2348 BC and Abraham would've been born in 1996 BC. Moses would've been born in 1571 BC and the Hebrews would've escaped Egypt in 1491 BC and entered the land of Canaan in 1451 BC. Bible verses are given along with the date as well. Also see Timeline of the Pentateuch
Ancient Chronology. The major events that happened in the great civilizations of the ancient world are traced from various academic sources and dates become more certain as we approach the birth of Christ.
The Biblical Perspective on History. The Bible reveals a beginning and an end of world history. It reveals the truth about God's original intention for mankind and how sin entered the world. The Bible also reveals what will happen at the very end of time. The best explanation of man's events in world history is probably best understood by taking a close look at the Temptation of Jesus Christ by Satan mentioned in Luke 4: Satan offered to Jesus all the kingdoms of the world if Jesus would only bow down and worship him. Jesus responded, "It is written, you shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve." According to the Bible Satan fell or was cast out of heaven because he wanted to be worshipped like God, and throughout history and even now his purpose remains the same, he deceives mankind into following his way of thinking, and ultimately rebel against heaven, and by doing so they unknowlingly serve (worship) him. Satan's ultimate goal is to overthrow God and at the end of time he will get his chance, but he will lose according to the Scriptures. But what does Satan's fall have to do with world history? World history is best studied in the context of world empires, or one kingdom or another attempting to expand their boundaries and ultimately dominate the world. But where did this desire come from? The Bible reveals that Satan is the "ruler of this world" (John 12:31) and "the Prince of the power of the air" (Ephesians 2:2), and he is a spiritual being that cannot be seen with the five senses. Satan has been working throughout history, yet the Bible reveals that God has also been working fashioning every century of history with an ultimate goal in mind, that at the "fulness of time" (Galatians 4:4) He would send a Savior who would conquer the world through love, and anyone who would follow Him could be part of eternity with God, the creator of man. And to be clear on God's purpose He chose to come Himself, and to show His love by dying as a substitue, and cut the covenant with His own blood. World history is going to end after the final rebellion of Satan to overthrow God's kingdom, but God Himself defeats him and creates a new heaven and a new earth. The followers of Jesus are referred to as His bride, and they will be clothed with a new body created for eternity, and they will dwell in the new heaven and the new earth forever. Most will follow Satan in the rebellion (Matthew 7:14). There is no way to fully understand every detail but the message is clearly revealed in the Bible. This ancient history timeline reveals some main events that happened throughout world history from the creation of the world until the destruction of the Temple in 70 A.D. with a biblical perspective.
Important Biblical Events
22nd Century BC
21st Century BC
20th Century BC
19th Century BC
18th Century BC
17th Century BC
16th Century BC
15th Century BC
14th Century BC
13th Century BC
12th Century BC
11th Century BC
10th Century BC
9th Century BC
8th Century BC
7th Century BC
6th Century BC
5th Century BC
4th Century BC
3rd Century BC
2nd Century BC
1st Century BC
Read The Bible
- 1599 Geneva Bible (GNV)
- 21st Century King James Version (KJ21)
- American Standard Version (ASV)
- Amplified Bible (AMP)
- Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)
- Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)
- BRG Bible (BRG)
- Christian Standard Bible (CSB)
- Common English Bible (CEB)
- Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
- Contemporary English Version (CEV)
- Darby Translation (DARBY)
- Disciples’ Literal New Testament (DLNT)
- Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
- Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
- English Standard Version (ESV)
- English Standard Version Anglicised (ESVUK)
- Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV)
- Expanded Bible (EXB)
- GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)
- Good News Translation (GNT)
- Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
- International Children’s Bible (ICB)
- International Standard Version (ISV)
- J.B. Phillips New Testament (PHILLIPS)
- Jubilee Bible 2000 (JUB)
- King James Version (KJV)
- Lexham English Bible (LEB)
- Living Bible (TLB)
- Modern English Version (MEV)
- Mounce Reverse Interlinear New Testament (MOUNCE)
- Names of God Bible (NOG)
- New American Bible (Revised Edition) (NABRE)
- New American Standard Bible (NASB)
- New American Standard Bible 1995 (NASB1995)
- New Catholic Bible (NCB)
- New Century Version (NCV)
- New English Translation (NET)
- New International Reader's Version (NIRV)
- New International Version - UK (NIVUK)
- New International Version (NIV)
- New King James Version (NKJV)
- New Life Version (NLV)
- New Living Translation (NLT)
- New Matthew Bible (NMB)
- New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
- New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (NRSVCE)
- New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised (NRSVA)
- New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised Catholic Edition (NRSVACE)
- New Testament for Everyone (NTE)
- Orthodox Jewish Bible (OJB)
- Revised Geneva Translation (RGT)
- Revised Standard Version (RSV)
- Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
- The Message (MSG)
- The Voice (VOICE)
- Tree of Life Version (TLV)
- World English Bible (WEB)
- Worldwide English (New Testament) (WE)
- Wycliffe Bible (WYC)
- Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
Table of Contents
- Ancient Assyrian Social Structure
- Ancient Babylonia
- Ancient Canaan During the Time of Joshua
- Ancient History Timeline
- Ancient Oil Lamps
- Antonia Fortress
- Archaeology of Ancient Assyria
- Assyria and Bible Prophecy
- Augustus Caesar
- Background Bible Study
- Biblical Geography
- Fallen Empires - Archaeological Discoveries and the Bible
- First Century Jerusalem
- Glossary of Latin Words
- Herod Agrippa I
- Herod Antipas
- Herod the Great
- Herod's Temple
- High Priest's in New Testament Times
- Jewish Literature in New Testament Times
- Library collection
- Map of David's Kingdom
- Map of the Divided Kingdom - Israel and Judah
- Map of the Ministry of Jesus
- Matthew Henry Bible Commentary
- Messianic Prophecy
- Nero Caesar Emperor
- Online Bible Maps
- Paul's First Missionary Journey
- Paul's Second Missionary Journey
- Paul's Third Missionary Journey
- Pontius Pilate
- Questions About the Ancient World
- Tabernacle of Ancient Israel
- Tax Collectors in New Testament Times
- The Babylonian Captivity
- The Black Obelisk of Shalmaneser
- The Books of the New Testament
- The Court of the Gentiles
- The Court of the Women in the Temple
- The Destruction of Israel
- The Fall of Judah with Map
- The History Of Rome
- The Incredible Bible
- The Jewish Calendar in Ancient Hebrew History
- The Life of Jesus in Chronological Order
- The Life of Jesus in Harmony
- The Names of God
- The New Testament
- The Old Testament
- The Passion of the Christ
- The Pharisees
- The Sacred Year of Israel in New Testament Times
- The Samaritans
- The Scribes
- How did the ancient Greeks and Romans practice medicine and treat illnesses?
- What were the major contributions of ancient Babylon to mathematics and astronomy?
- How did the ancient Persians create and administer their vast empire?
- What were the cultural and artistic achievements of ancient India, particularly during the Gupta Empire?
- How did ancient civilizations like the Incas and Aztecs build their remarkable cities and structures?
- What were the major trade routes and trading practices of the ancient world?
- What was the role of slavery in ancient societies like Rome and Greece?
- How did the ancient Mayans develop their sophisticated calendar system?
- What were the key events and significance of the Battle of Thermopylae in ancient Greece?
- What was life like for women in ancient Rome?
Bible Study Questions
- What does biblical archaeologist said about hieroglyphics?
- Where is the Negev where Abram went to in Genesis?
- What is the name of Ramallah in the Bible?
- How do we approach and study the historical and cultural context of biblical passages?
- What is the significance of the Psalms in personal and corporate worship?
- How do we discern and apply biblical principles to contemporary ethical issues?
- What is the biblical perspective on the nature of God's love and mercy?
- How do we interpret and understand apocalyptic literature in the Bible?
- What are the different covenants in the Bible and their significance?
- How do we grow in spiritual maturity and develop a deeper understanding of the Word?
Welcome to Free Bible: Unearthing the Past, Illuminating the Present! Step into a world where ancient history and biblical narratives intertwine, inviting you to explore the rich tapestry of human civilization.
Discover the captivating stories of forgotten empires, delve into the customs and cultures of our ancestors, and witness the remarkable findings unearthed by dedicated archaeologists.
Immerse yourself in a treasure trove of knowledge, where the past comes alive and illuminates our understanding of the present.
Join us on this extraordinary journey through time, where curiosity is rewarded and ancient mysteries await your exploration.
The Ten Lost Tribes of Israel: A Mystery That Has Endured for CenturiesThe Ten Lost Tribes of Israel are the ten of the Twelve Tribes of Israel that were said to have been exiled from the Kingdom of Israel after its conqu...
Exploring the Mysteries of the Arzareth Map: Unearthing Ancient LegendsIn the annals of history and mythology, there are places shrouded in mystery, lost to the sands of time. One such enigmatic location is "Arzareth," a ...
The Incredible Bible: A Timeless Source of Inspiration and GuidanceIn a world characterized by rapid change, the Bible stands as an incredible and enduring source of inspiration and guidance. Here are some compelling ...
The Bible: More Than Just a Religious TextOften considered solely as a religious text, the Bible transcends its religious significance, revealing itself as a multifaceted treasure trove of wis...
The Bible's Profound Wisdom for Everyday LifeThe Bible, often regarded as a sacred and spiritual guide, isn't merely a collection of ancient texts; it's a timeless reservoir of wisdom that speaks...